Students who apply for admission to the PHSU St. Louis PsyD in Clinical Psychology program may transfer up to 24 graduate credits from institutions accredited by the PR-CE, MS-CHE, or a regionally-equivalent agency.
The 24 transfer credits must be approved in programs related to the field of Clinical Psychology. Students with prior graduate work in a field outside mental health may transfer at least 18 credits depending on the nature of the program attended and the equivalency of the courses approved.
The following requirements will guide the evaluation process of those graduate courses submitted for approval:
- Graduate courses must be relevant to the field of Clinical/Professional Psychology
- The requested courses must be passed with at least a B grade.
- The students can demonstrate in an objective manner or through formal written and/or oral examination that they possess the knowledge and skills expected from the courses.
The following courses are frequently equivalent within mental health disciplines and may be transferred from other graduate programs.
- Research Methods
- Test Construction
- Cognitive Assessment and Practicum*
- Group Therapy
- Motivation and Emotion
- Child Psychopathology
- Child Psychotherapy
- Professional Ethics in Psychology
- History of Psychology
- Family Therapy*
- Clinical Psychopharmacology
- Human Sexuality
- Psychology of Addictions
- Geriatric Psychology
- Mental Health Administration
- Forensic Psychology
- Psychoeducational Assessment*
* – requires demonstration of competence
Please understand that the above list is not comprehensive, and other courses can be evaluated for transfer. The following courses are not considered for transfer to PHSU Clinical Psychology Programs:
- PSY 522 — Psychology of Personality
- PSY 515 — Human Growth and Development
- PSY 523 — Cognitive Psychology
- PSY 541 — Fundamentals of Clinical Psychopathology
- PSY 511 — Fundamentals of Neuroscience
- PSY 512 — Neuroanatomy Laboratory
- PSY 645 — Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- PSY 658 — Projective Assessment of Personality
- PSY 667 — Short-Term Psychotherapy
- PSY 662 — Cognitive and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- PSY 747 — Personality and Psychotic Disorders
- PSY 818 — Clinical Health Psychology
In addition to those courses, the 1100 hours of required clinical practice in the PsyD program cannot be transferred from other institutions.
For more questions pertaining to potential transfer credits, please contact our admissions office.