Build the Clinical Skills Necessary for a Career in Medicine
The Medical Education Program at Ponce Health Sciences University (PHSU-SOM) is a 4-year program with a duration of 166 weeks. It grants a doctor of medicine degree (MD degree). The program consists of two years of pre-clinical (basic science) courses in the core disciplines of Gross Anatomy, Histology and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology/Immunology and Neurosciences.
MD Program Overview
4 years (166 weeks)
209 credit hours
January 31st 2023
MD Admission Requirements
For more than 40 years, the MD program at PHSU has been producing diverse leaders for the medical profession.
PHSU St. Louis looks for students with a passion for serving others and keen interest in the medical sciences, demonstrated through scholastic achievement and persistent pursuit of volunteering, employment, extracurriculars, or other activities relevant to healthcare.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to apply:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7
- Minimum science GPA of 2.7
- Minimum MCAT score of 494
- Completed prerequisite courses
Within the studies of the degree all applicants are requested to have completed the following courses:
|Behavioral and Social Sciences||6|
In addition to the above requirements, we strongly recommend coursework in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Liberal Arts and/or Humanities.
MD Application Process
- Gather all necessary materials.
- Official transcript from all institutions attended
- Two letters of recommendation written by professors of individuals familiar with the applicant’s professional work and skills.
- Official MCAT score
- Non-refundable $85 application fee
- Fill out AMCAS application HERE
- Submit secondary application specific to PHSU St. Louis campus by deadline.
- If selected, complete admissions interview.
- After acceptance, students must submit the following:
- Confirmation of acceptance
- Deposit of $100 to secure their seat in the upcoming class
- Evidence of up-to-date immunization record (must include Varicella, Td Adult, MMR and three doses of Hepatitis B)
- Fill out the Policy on Technical Standards